Welcome to OutProud Online, owned and produced by OutProud and its subsidiary and affiliate corporations, successors, and assigns (collectively referred to as “OutProud”).
Please note that OutProud Online contains links to other sites and that these sites’ Privacy Policies may not conform to our own. So bear in mind that sites that are linked to from OutProud Online sites, may have privacy policies which differ from that of OutProud Online.
This policy may be updated from time to time so please check back periodically.
1. What information of yours does OutProud Online collect?
The goal of OutProud Online is to provide you with the information, services and resources that are most relevant and useful to gay youth and those who serve them. To achieve this goal, OutProud Online sometimes needs to collect information to understand what differentiates you from its hundreds of thousands of other unique users. We collect two types of information from you, “anonymous information” and “personally identifiable information.” Anonymous information refers to information that cannot be tied back to a specific individual. Each time a visitor comes to an OutProud Online site, OutProud collects some information to improve the overall quality of the visitor’s online experience. OutProud collects the visitor’s IP address (e.g., whether the user is logged on from a .com, .gov or .edu domain), referral data (e.g., the address of the last URL a user visited prior to clicking through to an OutProud Online site), and browser and platform type (e.g., a Netscape browser on a Macintosh platform). OutProud also collects aggregate search terms from its search services for internal reporting and targeted content presentation (that is, web pages which are dynamically displayed based on your individual interests. OutProud collects this user information for purposes of product monitoring, product improvement, and targeted content.
- Most of the personal information is gathered when you register with one or several of OutProud Online sites. If you choose to register, you may provide OutProud with your name, postal address, email address, birth date, gender, sexual orientation, zip code and other information. While not all of this information may be required, the more information you volunteer (and the more accurate it is), the better we are able to customize your experience. Once you register you are given an OutProud Online ID and are able to take full advantage of the many offerings around OutProud Online, including personalization services, when they become available.
- In addition to registration for various services on the Network, OutProud may ask you for personal information at other times, including when you search QueerAmerica, for example. In such instances, this information is only used to search a database and is not retained in any form.
- If you participate in the Internet Survey of Queer and Questioning Youth, you may be asked to provide some very personal information. Should you choose to reply, please know that this information is in no way linked to you, nor is sufficient identifying information of any type collected such that your responses could be traced back to you. We believe it is important for you to be confident that your responses are anonymous and confidential.
- If you contact OutProud Online, we may keep a record of that correspondence, including your email address. We use that information so that we may respond to that email, and for future reference.
2. What are “cookies” and how does OutProud use them?
A cookie is a small text file containing a unique identification number that is transferred from a web site to the hard drive of your computer so that the web site may identify you and track your activities on the web site. This unique number identifies your browser– and possibly you — to computers whenever you visit a site making use of them. A cookie can, in fact, let a web site know personally identifiable information about you, such as your real name and address.
3. What organization is collecting the information?
When you register information in any Internet domain of OutProud Online, that information is generally collected and maintained solely by OutProud Online unless specifically stated otherwise at the point of collection. For example, the results — including the database of responses — of the Internet Survey of Queer and Questioning Youth are shared with a wide number of individuals and organizations conducting research on, or otherwise advocating for, queer youth.
4. How does OutProud Online use the information it collects?
Any personal information you provide to OutProud when registering for Products and Services at any of its sites is maintained and accessible only by OutProud Online unless specifically stated otherwise. OutProud may request information from its users so that users can enjoy customized experiences across OutProud Online, including personalization services, interactive communications, discussion groups and many other types of content and services. Most of these Products and Services are free to you. In order to provide great content and services free of charge, OutProud may display advertisements.
The following are examples of how OutProud Online may use the information it collects:
- OutProud Online may offer its users the ability to personalize content such as news, local resources, links to other web sites, and more.
- OutProud may use the aggregate data collected to inform our sponsors as to numbers of people who have certain demographic characteristics and the number of those people who have seen and “clicked” on specific pages or advertisement(s). We may also disclose to those third-party sponsors the overall demographics available regarding who saw and “clicked” on their advertisement. No personally identifiable information will be disclosed to any individual, whatsoever, as part of this process; only information in an aggregate form.
- OutProud also uses the aggregate data to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our registered users and visitors, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific areas of OutProud Online and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. Without such data, we would not know what the most popular areas of OutProud Online are, and we would not be able to change and update the content and services appropriately.
- OutProud Online may, from time to time, use your information to contact you about changes or enhancements to Products and Services on OutProud Online
- If you told OutProud Online that you were interested in receiving offers or information, OutProud may send you email about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you. For those who elect to receive such materials from OutProud or third parties, and who indicate that they do in their profile, OutProud will release personally identifiable information. Information released may include your name, email address and other information supplied in OutProud Online registration process, and only when you specifically grant us that right.
- OutProud Online sometimes uses an individual registered user’s data to “pre-populate” forms that are displayed for the purpose of collecting individual data by OutProud Online and/or its advertisers and sponsors.
- OutProud may be required by law enforcement or judicial authorities to provide information on individual users to the appropriate governmental authorities. In matters involving a danger to personal or public safety, OutProud may voluntarily provide information to appropriate governmental authorities. If you are a member of the military, you should not register any personally identifying information at our site in the eventuality that it may be subpoenaed.
5. With whom does OutProud Online share the information that is collected?
At this time OutProud Online only shares the results of the Internet Survey of Queer and Questioning Youth. This data is made available both on an aggregated basis, and also in the form of a database which contains individual responses. There is no personally identifying information about anyone in this database, nor can any responses be traced back to an individual. We share the information with qualified researchers, government and social services organizations.
6. How can you access, edit or delete your information?
OutProud Online provides its registered users the ability to access and edit the personal information in their user profiles. Currently, to access and edit your personal information, you have to go to the specific OutProud Online site where you registered. For locations where you can access and edit your personal information, click on one or more of the following: